TITLE: Competency Interviews (20 points)
PURPOSE: To define the School of HTM competency model by identifying specific behaviors for each service leadership competency. Students practice active listening and further enhance interpersonal communication and information analysis skills in a true, professional setting. As a result of this assignment students will enhance the following competencies:
- Interpersonal Communication
- Time and Priorities
DESCRIPTION: Schedule and complete structured interviews with four industry professionals – one in each of the three emphasis areas and one bonus. For HTM they are hotels, meetings & events, restaurants. For RTM they are outdoor resource, recreation systems, and sustainable tourism Complete these interviews face-to-face or on a virtual platform (e.g. Zoom, FaceTime, etc.). Virtual will facilitate opportunities for you to connect with industry professionals nationally and internationally! Probe the industry professional for at least two specific behaviors (at least 24 total) for each of the 12 competencies in the HTM competency model (see interview template for guidance). During the interviews, take detailed notes. You may consider recording the interview as a reference. If you do decide to record the interview, you must ask the interviewee beforehand and make it clear that the recording will not be shared. It is for note taking purposes only. After the interviews, formally thank each of the industry professionals. Write a detailed summary of the interview information and prepare to use this information to conduct in class discussions (i.e. behavior discussions).
COMPETENCY INTERVIEW SUMMARY REQUIREMENTS:
- Use the interview template to guide Download interview template to guidethe interviews .
- List interviewee (industry professional) contact information.
- Include a screenshot (or picture) of the interview being conducted. Make sure to ask for consent. The document is only for your professor.
- Summarize four completed interviews to demonstrate the HTM service leadership competency model in action. Don’t compile all the information (e.g., all interviewee information under competency), but rather one report per professional. So you will have four reports submitted as one document.
- Summarize key industry issues & managerial challenges making any links to the competency model where they exist.
- Summarize each of the 12 competencies by describing how your interviewee talked about them.
- Describe at least 2 specific scenarios the interviewee discussed for each of the 12 competencies.
- Submit an electronic version of the assignment on Canvas by due date.