Please read the introduction and Section 2 of the following research paper: https://www.jstor.org/stable/1913210?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents
The paper is also in the “Additional Material” folder.
Please summarize the main point of the paper in about 100-200 words.
Please create a thread with your answer. Once you respond, you will be able to see the response of other students. Please respond to the thoughts of at least two other students.
2/ 4 reply
Again, format can be as you wish, but final version uploaded ideally should be in pdf .
As I explained in class, on assignments, you can get more than 100% if you do extra work on it, I see 100% of the available credit as “completed the assignment in a satisfactory manner”, unlike a quiz where this is just the number of questions answered and you cannot get more than 100%
This assignment is:
1) try cracking the codes below
2) explain how you dit it, what are the issues if you did not (chances are no one will be able to break the new hash crypto code, that is why the new crypto is so powerful, but in the previous class some students managed to break it, don’t want to put any pressure on you 🤣), what tools if any you used, how you approached the problem, etc….
3) explain what you see as the big difference between traditional cyphers (pre-computers) and the modern crypto based on hash functions
Try reading about:
Alternatively, if something about Enigma, or Kryptos, or something related to encrypting, or SHA256 really gets you going, you can take that as the course project, but obviously you still need to do the assignment.
1) Traditional crypto codes to crack (before computers and before hash functions):
pdeo kja eo awou
pdwp swo nawh awou
mabl hgx bl xtlr
hvwg cbs wg ozgc hfwjwoz
2) non traditional crypto (new crypto or hash based crypto) codes to crack: Note that for the 2 codes below I used exactly the same method to make it easier for you.
hb!evrb ov rqarq
iqbzlbzdb enb! rvq
Have fun, and a great weekend !
4/ 13 multiple choice about fintech